Teacher training courses
Postgraduate teacher training courses are available across England, led by universities or schools. The course you choose will depend on your subject, degree class and location. Whichever course you choose, your training will largely be the same. If you don't have a degree, you can gain a degree and qualified teacher status (QTS) together on an undergraduate course.
All teacher training courses will offer
- qualified teacher status (QTS), which is needed to teach as a qualified teacher in England
- plenty of classroom experience in at least two schools – a minimum of 24 weeks of school experience
- training to meet the Teachers’ Standards, which will include classroom management and making your subject accessible to your pupils
- expert academic and practical guidance from mentors and tutors who are there to help you succeed
Most courses will also offer a postgraduate qualification, usually a Postgraduate Certificate in Education - speak to your chosen course provider(s) to find out what qualification their course offers.
Funding your teacher training
- you could receive a tax-free £26,000 bursary to train, depending on your subject and degree class
- Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans, irrespective of whether you received these loans during your undergraduate degree
- extra funding from a grant or allowance if you're a parent, have a disability or have an adult dependant
Alternatively, you could earn a salary while you train.
Finding the right teacher training course
- use the Department for Education’s search tool for England: Find Postgraduate Teacher Training, to find available courses - you'll be able to search by location, training provider and subject
- start researching individual course providers in more detail via their websites or by attending a teacher training event
- get greater insight into completion and employability rates for each course provider, and find out more about individual schools using Ofsted’s inspection reports
Do you need support? Our Teacher Training Adviser service can help you make a swift and successful application.
You might be interested in....
Virtual Train to Teach Nottingham event
01 October 2020 - 17:30
This event, for anyone interested in training to teach in Nottingham, will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Virtual Train to Teach Leeds event
08 October 2020 - 17:30
This event, for anyone interested in training to teach in Leeds, will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Virtual Train to Teach London event
10 October 2020 - 11:00
This event, for anyone interested in training to teach in London, will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.