Check your eligibility to train to teach in England

Before you apply for teacher training in England, you must check that you have the right qualifications and they meet the standard set for English teacher training.

How to check your qualifications

The simplest way to check your qualifications meet the required standard in England is to get a statement of comparability(opens in new window) from the UK European Network of Information Centres (UK ENIC).

This is a certificate that proves your school and university qualifications are the same standard as UK GCSEs and a UK bachelor’s degree.

When you apply for teacher training, you’ll be asked to submit details of your statement of comparability. Applications which include this are 28% more likely to be successful.

A statement of comparability costs £49.50 + VAT. It takes 15 working days to complete your order from the date ENIC receives your qualification documents and payment.

Get help checking your qualifications

To get help with your qualifications, you can use the live chat service at the bottom of this page. Or you can call us on +44 800 389 2500. Calls will be charged at your country’s standard rate.

We’re available Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5:30pm (UK local time) except on bank holidays(opens in new window) in England.

When you speak to us, we can tell you if you’re eligible for a teacher training adviser.

Qualifications you’ll need to train to teach

To train to teach in England, you’ll need:

  • a degree which meets the standard of a UK bachelor’s degree (this can come from a non-UK university)
  • an English language qualification which meets the standard of a grade 4 General Certificate of Secondary Education (GCSE) – a qualification awarded for exams taken at age 16 in England
  • a maths qualification which meets the standard of a grade 4 GCSE
  • if teaching children aged 3 to 11 in primary school, a physics, chemistry or biology (science) qualification which meets the standard of a grade 4 GCSE

You’ll also need to:

  • complete a fitness questionnaire before starting training
  • undergo safeguarding and criminal record checks carried out by your training provider or employer

English language, maths and science proficiency

If you’ve reached a certain proficiency in an English language test, you can use this as evidence you meet the standard of a grade 4 GCSE in English – for example:

If you have not passed an English language test like this, or do not have qualifications in maths or science which are the same standard as grade 4 GCSE, some teacher training providers will let you sit tests in these subjects. It’s best to contact them to ask about their policy before you apply.

If you do not have a bachelor’s degree

If you do not have a degree, you can apply to study a 3 to 4 year undergraduate course in England(opens in new window) which combines a teaching degree with qualified teacher status (QTS)(opens in new window). When you complete your studies, you’ll be able to apply for jobs as a teacher in England.

The UK Council for International Student Affairs(opens in new window) has lots of helpful information about studying at an English university.

How to apply

Have you spoken to one of our advisers to check you have the required qualifications for teacher training in England? They can also help you submit your application.

Learn more about how to find and apply for teacher training courses.

Already a qualified teacher?

If you’re already a qualified teacher, find out how you can teach in England if you completed your teacher training outside the UK.


If you have general questions about the information on this page, you can email us at

For help with individual applications to training providers or schools, please register with a teacher training adviser. Advisers can give you personalised support with your application.

Get free one-to-one support

An adviser can support you with your application and answer all your questions about training to teach in England. Chat through phone, text or email, as little or as often as you need.

Find out more about advisers