Overseas graduates

Teaching in England offers a wealth of opportunities and rewards to enable you to build a stimulating and successful career. There’s also plenty of support in place to help trainees on their journey into teaching – particularly in maths and physics – so becoming a teacher may be easier than you think. 

If you want to train to teach in England, we’re here to help. Your first step should be completing our registration form so you can receive one-on-one support from our dedicated advisers. Once you’ve done that, start exploring the different teacher training routes available to get an idea of which one might suit you.

If you’re a graduate from outside the European Economic Area (EEA), you may need to apply for a visa before starting your teacher training course. The type of visa will depend on whether you choose a salaried or non-salaried route. For example, if you choose School Direct (salaried), you may need to apply for a Tier 2 visa.

No matter where you’re from, you’ll need to meet some basic eligibility requirements in terms of qualifications. The training provider you apply to will make the final decision on equivalency of any overseas qualifications you have.

You can also:

Important information for non-UK EU nationals and EEA citizens following EU referendum result: 

EU nationals applying for teacher training in 2018/19 and 2019/20 will still be eligible for a tax-free bursary or scholarship and a tuition fee loan. Under current rules, EU nationals can access this support if they have resided in the European Economic Area or Switzerland throughout the three-year period before the start of the course. For more information, visit GOV.UK

If you’re already a qualified teacher from overseas, please visit our overseas candidates page to find out how you could gain qualified teacher status (QTS) in England.


94% of newly qualified teachers are employed in a teaching role within six months of completing their training

On average, a teacher earns £38,700 a year

Watch this video for helpful tips on getting into teaching, from real trainees and experienced teachers. Transcript (PDF, 118KB)

If you want to do it, if you think you have a passion for it, then go for it.

Mia Webb, trainee maths teacher