Privacy Notice: Get Into Teaching Information Service
Who we are
This work is being carried out by the Department for Education (DfE). For the purpose of data protection legislation, the DfE is the data controller for the personal data processed as part of The Get Into Teaching Information Service, including the Get School Experience service.
How we will use your information
We receive and process the personal data you provided when completing either the Get Into Teaching registration form or the Get School Experience service registration form, because you have requested that we provide you with tailored advice and information about teacher training and a career as a teacher, or have requested school experience. These services will help you to make an informed decision about making an application.
Specifically we will use your data in the following ways:
- The information you provide in the registration forms (and any subsequent updates made via our helpline, including registration to events) is shared with our Get Into Teaching telephone helpline and web chat service to ensure that they have an accurate picture of your circumstances in order to provide a tailored service and information to you. Any subsequent information you provide to the helpline will also be recorded in order to continue to provide you with a tailored service.
- We use your contact details to communicate with you by telephone and to send you email, SMS and postal messages, providing you with information about a career in teaching. We may also contact you to gauge your interest in taking part in market research. In each message, you will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from further communications.
- The information we collect from you (such as your name, contact details and subject preferences) is used for identification, administration, analysis and targeting purposes. This allows us to ensure that public funds are being spent effectively.
- We will use anonymised data about you to deliver tailored messages on third party platforms, including social media - like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Google search. Such anonymised data will also be used to identify and advertise to people that are similar to you, who may also be interested in our service.
- If you are using the Get School Experience service, your data will be used to process your request for school experience with the school(s) in question. We will also use it to send out notifications, reminders and feedback questionnaires. We track your progress through this service to improve it for you and future applicants and to ensure public funds are being spent effectively.
Your personal data, supplied for the purposes of this service, will be stored for 5 years.
If you do not supply us with your personal information then we cannot provide a tailored advice and information service or offer you access to the services available via our website such as booking a Train to Teach event. However, without registering, you can still access general information via the Get into Teaching helpline and website and can complete an application for Initial Teacher Training through UCAS Teacher Training.
The nature of your personal data we will be using
The categories of your data, supplied by you through the registration forms and other interactions with us, that we will be using for this service are personal data such as:
- Email address
- Contact telephone number
- Date of birth
- IP Address
We will also be collecting non-personal information such as:
- Your teaching preferences
- Your intended training commencement year
- Your qualifications
- Any additional supplementary information you provide during communication with the helpline and/or personal advisers that will help us to aid you in progressing your application and continue to improve our service.
Why our use of your personal data is lawful
In order for our use of your personal data to be lawful, we need to meet one (or more) conditions in the data protection legislation. You have requested to receive this service and therefore, together with this privacy notice (about the use of your personal data), you have agreed to your data being used to deliver the service. However, the condition that we are relying on (once you have agreed to receiving the service) is that under Article 6 (1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) DfE is processing your personal data in the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.
Who we will make your personal data available to
We share your information with trusted partners working to deliver the service under a legal contract on our behalf in order for us to continue to provide you with relevant information about a career in teaching and teacher training or 'the service'. These partners are required to strictly comply with our privacy policies that prohibit them using your personal data for any other purpose.
We share certain personal data with UCAS Teacher Training, who manage the application system for teacher training. Sharing personal information with UCAS Teacher Training enables us to identify those who have applied for teacher training, thus enabling us to remove the names of these applicants from our mailing lists. We also share data to track your application in order to determine the effectiveness of our service, monitor overall levels of teacher training applicants and improve it for you and future applicants.
If you are using the Get School Experience service, we will share some of your personal data to the staff who manage school experience at the school where you've requested school experience. This allows them to process your application and get back to you about your school experience.
How long we will keep your personal data
Your personal data, supplied for the purposes of this service, will be stored for 5 years. We will delete this information if you request us to do so.
Your data protection rights
You have the right:
- to ask us for access to information about you that we hold
- to have your personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- to request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing
- to restrict our processing of your personal data (i.e. permitting its storage but no further processing)
- to object to direct marketing (including profiling) and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics - but this will mean you no longer can receive the service.
Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and enter Data Protection as a reference regarding any of the rights listed above. For the Data Protection Officer (DPO) please contact us via gov.uk and mark it for the attention of the ‘DPO’.
If you need to contact us regarding any of the above rights, please do so via the Get into Teaching site.
Further information about your data protection rights appears on the Information Commissioner's website.
Right to lodge a complaint
If you are unhappy with our use of your personal data, please let us know by contacting email@example.com.
Alternatively, you have the right to raise any concerns with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) via their website.
We may need to update this privacy notice periodically, so we recommend that you revisit this information from time to time. This version was last updated on 15/01/2020.
Secondary school teaching
17 August 2020 - 19:00
This online event will provide advice on all things secondary teaching. It will offer helpful hints and tips on the different training options available and how to choose the right option for you.
Introduction to United Teaching - online event
19 August 2020 - 18:00
Join SCITT lead Yassamin Sheel to discover more about our school-based programme.
Manchester Nexus SCITT - Our training programmes: online information event
24 August 2020 - 11:00
Find out about our training programmes and the recruitment process.