If you’re studying for an undergraduate or master's degree and interested in teaching, an internship could help you to understand what it’s really like in the classroom.
Internships last 3 weeks, start in June or July and you’ll be paid £300 per week.
Find out how to apply, including details of teaching internship providers in each region, further down this page.
The support I had was amazing, I was treated like a member of staff, and I was welcomed by everyone.
Who can apply
You'll need to be studying for a related undergraduate or master's degree and interested in teaching one of the following:
If you’re interested in teaching a different subject, you can still get school experience and find out what it’s like to be in a classroom.
Towards the end of the internship, I was able to teach parts of lessons that I had planned, and I really started to find my feet at the front of the classroom.
What you'll experience
You'll get a feel for what life as a teacher is like. Your internship will give you an opportunity to:
- shadow experienced teachers and observe lessons
- jointly plan and teach lessons
- get one-to-one guidance from outstanding classroom teachers and subject specialists
- see what school life is like for a teacher outside of the classroom
I observed lessons, provided 1:1 support to pupils, and even taught classes! The internship was particularly beneficial in providing a unique insight into teacher training and the application process.
Steps to apply
You must apply directly to one of the teaching internship providers below by following these steps:
- Find a teaching internship provider delivering the programme near you and review the areas where they have partner schools.
- Use the link to their website to find out further details and how to apply.
- Maximise the chances of your application succeeding with free one-to-one support from an explore teaching adviser.
Find a teaching internship in your region
Select a region:
- East Midlands
- East of England
- North East
- North West
- South East
- South West
- West Midlands
- Yorkshire and the Humber