How do I change to a career in teaching?

Turn your passion into your profession with a career change into teaching. Not only can you use the skills and expertise you’ve already developed to inspire young people, teaching gives you the opportunity to grow and fulfil your own potential too.

You’ll need a degree and qualified teacher status (QTS) to work in the majority of schools in England including state maintained primary, secondary and special schools. There are different ways to get QTS.

Now Teach(opens in new window) is a service that specifically helps people get into teaching who are changing career.

If you already have an undergraduate degree, you can search for postgraduate teacher training courses(opens in new window) to get QTS.

If you’re concerned about your subject knowledge, you may also be able to do a subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course. This can help if you have an unrelated degree but relevant professional experience, or you haven’t used your subject knowledge for a while.

Find information if you’re a non-UK citizen interested in teaching in England.

Get free one-to-one support

Our experienced teaching advisers can support you through the switch if you're thinking about changing careers. Chat to an adviser by phone, text or email.

Find out more about advisers