What funding could I get for teacher training?

Tuition fee and maintenance loans

Funding is available to help you train to teach. You can apply for a:

  • tuition fee loan of up to £9,250 to cover your teacher training, so you do not need to pay course fees upfront
  • maintenance loan of up to £12,382 to help with living costs

You can still apply for a tuition fee and a maintenance loan if you already have a student loan, and regardless of whether you get a teaching bursary or scholarship.

You will only have to make loan repayments once you’re earning. Your repayments will not increase if you already have a student loan and take an additional loan for teacher training.

icon-arrow icon

Use the student finance calculator on GOV.UK to find out how much funding you can get.

Bursaries and scholarships

You may be eligible for a teaching bursary or scholarship when training to teach.

These are tax-free amounts of money you receive to train in certain subjects. You do not need to pay them back.

You’ll need a first, 2:1, 2:2 degree or a PhD or master’s degree to be eligible for a bursary, as well as meeting the bursary scheme’s individual terms and conditions.

Find out more about your eligibility for teaching bursaries.

For a scholarship, each professional scholarship body sets its own criteria. These bodies include:

Check which subjects have bursaries and scholarships

Teaching bursaries and scholarships are only available for the subjects listed below. You cannot receive both a teaching bursary and a scholarship.

Subject Bursary Scholarship
Chemistry £24,000 £26,000
Computing £24,000 £26,000
Maths £24,000 £26,000
Physics £24,000 £26,000
Classics £10,000 N/A
Languages £10,000 N/A
Biology £7,000 N/A

Non-graduate bursaries

If you’re a final year undergraduate student

You may be eligible for a training bursary of £9,000 if you’re on a secondary maths or physics course leading to ‘qualified teacher status’ (QTS).

You may also be eligible if you’re studying an opt-in QTS course in secondary undergraduate computing, languages, mathematics or physics.

If you’re a former military personnel

You may be eligible for a Troops to Teachers tax-free bursary of £40,000 if you’re:

  • training to teach secondary biology, physics, chemistry, computing, maths or modern foreign languages
  • doing an undergraduate degree leading to QTS in England
Chat with a adviser online
Chat to us

If you're unsure about whether you qualify for a bursary or scholarship you can chat to us, or call us on 0800 389 2500.

Chat onlineChat to usChat available Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5:30pm.

If you’re a parent or carer

If you have children or other caring responsibilities you may be able to get extra financial support through the following grants and schemes:

If you’re disabled

You may be able to get support if you’re a student and you’re disabled, have a learning difficulty or health problem.

If you do paid training you may also be eligible for support.

Learn more about training to teach if you’re disabled.

If you come from outside England

If you live outside England you may still be eligible for funding to train to teach via:

If you live in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland you’ll need to contact your country’s student finance body.

Contact the education authority if you live in the Channel Islands (Jersey and Guernsey) or on the Isle of Man.

Find out more about financial help if you’re an applicant from outside the UK.

icon-arrow icon

If you come from outside England.