Please note applications for a scholarship has now closed for September 2018. If you apply for teacher training for this September, you could still be eligible for a tax-free bursary. Further information on scholarships programmes that commence in September 2019 will be released later in the autumn term, so please continue to check this page.
If you’re passionate about your subject and have the potential to be an inspirational teacher you could apply for a scholarship to support your training. Scholarships are awarded to the most gifted trainees in physics, maths, chemistry, computing, languages or geography in partnership with highly regarded professional subject associations.
As well as financial support, as a scholar you’ll enjoy a range of prestigious benefits, including:
- free membership from the professional subject associations awarding the scholarship
- access to resources and events to support you through your training
- support to improve your teacher practice and subject knowledge
- networking opportunities from a community of like-minded scholars
To be eligible for a scholarship, you should have at least a 2:1 degree or above and want to teach chemistry, computing, geography, languages, maths or physics. You can still apply if you have a 2:2, but you’ll need to provide evidence of significant relevant experience. Scholarships are awarded in place of a bursary.
Find out more on the dedicated scholarship pages:
- computing: BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT
- chemistry: Royal Society of Chemistry
- geography: Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
- languages: British Council
- maths: Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships
- physics: Institute of Physics scholarships
If you’re not successful in your application for a scholarship, and secured a place on a qualifying teacher training course in England, you’ll still receive the standard bursary – find out more about bursaries.
Train to Teach London
13 October 2018 - 10:00
This event in London will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Train to Teach Bristol
16 October 2018 - 16:30
This event in Bristol will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Train to Teach Nottingham
17 October 2018 - 16:30
This event in Nottingham will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.