You can talk to a Get Into Teaching Line adviser online between 8am and 8pm.Start live chat
If you’re passionate about your subject and have the potential to be an inspirational teacher you could apply for a scholarship to support your training. Scholarships are awarded to the most gifted trainees in physics, maths, chemistry, computing, languages or geography in partnership with highly regarded professional subject associations.
As well as financial support, as a scholar you’ll enjoy a range of prestigious benefits, including:
- free membership from the professional subject associations awarding the scholarship
- access to resources and events to support you through your training
- support to improve your teacher practice and subject knowledge
- networking opportunities from a community of like-minded scholars
To be eligible for a scholarship, you should have at least a 2:1 degree or above and want to teach chemistry, computing, geography, languages, maths or physics. You can still apply if you have a 2:2, but you’ll need to provide evidence of significant subject knowledge or have a relevant postgraduate degree. Scholarships are awarded in place of a bursary.
Find out more on the dedicated scholarship pages:
- computing: BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT
- chemistry: Royal Society of Chemistry
- geography: Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
- languages: British Council
- maths: Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships
- physics: Institute of Physics scholarships
If you’re not successful in your application for a scholarship, and secured a place on a qualifying teacher training course in England, you’ll still receive the standard bursary – find out more about bursaries.
Train to Teach Leeds
29 June 2019 - 10:00
This event in Leeds will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Gaining school experience
01 July 2019 - 18:30
This online session will offer helpful hints and tips on how to gain school experience and how to make the best use of this when limited time may be available.
Secondary school teaching
03 July 2019 - 12:00
This online event will provide advice on all things secondary teaching. It will offer helpful hints and tips on the different secondary school training options available and how to choose the right option for you.