If you’re passionate about your subject and have the potential to be an inspirational teacher you could apply for a scholarship to support your training. Scholarships are awarded to the most gifted trainees in physics, maths, chemistry, computing, languages or geography in partnership with highly regarded professional subject associations.
As well as financial support, as a scholar you’ll enjoy a range of prestigious benefits, including:
- free membership from the professional subject associations awarding the scholarship
- access to resources and events to support you through your training
- support to improve your teacher practice and subject knowledge
- networking opportunities from a community of like-minded scholars
To be eligible for a scholarship, you should have at least a 2:1 degree or above and want to teach chemistry, computing, geography, languages, maths or physics. You can still apply if you have a 2:2, but you’ll need to provide evidence of significant subject knowledge or have a relevant postgraduate degree. Scholarships are awarded in place of a bursary.
Find out more on the dedicated scholarship pages:
- computing: BCS, The Chartered Institute for IT
- chemistry: Royal Society of Chemistry
- geography: Royal Geographical Society (with IBG)
- languages: British Council
- maths: Mathematics Teacher Training Scholarships
- physics: Institute of Physics scholarships
If you’re not successful in your application for a scholarship, and secured a place on a qualifying teacher training course in England, you’ll still receive the standard bursary – find out more about bursaries.
Financial support for teacher training
08 April 2020 - 13:00
Find out about the range of financial incentives and support available to help fund your teacher training. Our panel will answer all of your questions about bursaries, scholarships and salaried School Direct courses. We'll also discuss the eligibility criteria for bursaries and scholarships, and how to apply for financial support.
Change career to teaching
04 May 2020 - 19:30
Considering changing career to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Our teaching advisers will discuss the different routes available to help you retrain and experiences of the obstacles faced when changing career.
Secondary school teaching
11 May 2020 - 19:30
This online event will provide advice on all things secondary teaching. It will offer helpful hints and tips on the different training options available and how to choose the right option for you.