If you already have classroom experience

If you have been working in a classroom for a significant amount of time, as a teaching assistant or in a similar role, you may be able to get qualified teacher status (QTS) through a 12-week ‘assessment only’ programme. You must also have a degree.

You’ll need to show that you already meet the standards for QTS. For example, you may meet the standards if:

Entry criteria may vary by teacher training provider. You should ask them about eligibility before you apply and make sure that you qualify.

Find out more about assessment only teacher training providers.

If you already have QTS, find out how you can return to teaching.

Get an adviser

Get free one-to-one support

Advisers can answer your questions, help with your application, and support you on your teaching journey.

Find out more about advisers

Talk to us

Live chat

Call us

0800 389 2500

Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5:30pm

Get a teacher training adviser

Teacher training advisers provide free, one-to-one support wherever you are in your journey into teaching. Whether it's just an idea, or you're looking to get back into the classroom, you could get personalised help and support.

Get an adviser


Tell us what you think about this service
Whether you're ready to apply, or simply exploring teaching as an option, we'll send you all the information you need