Taking the tests
Your first attempt at each test is free of charge. If you don’t pass within three attempts, you will need to wait 24 months before you can book any further tests – this would mean starting the teacher training application process again, so make sure you have plenty of time to revise in advance.
Don’t worry – there’s lots of support available to help you get ready. This includes the practice literacy materials and practice numeracy materials.
Remember, you’ll need to take proof of your application for a teacher training course with you to your skills tests. The evidence that will be accepted is as follows:
- a welcome letter from a teacher training organisation, for example UCAS Teacher Training or Teach First
- email correspondence from a teacher training organisation
- correspondence from a school or training provider
- a copy of a completed application form
- confirmation of, or an invitation to, an interview from a teacher training organisation, training provider or school
When you’re ready, you’ll need to book your tests with learndirect using the skills tests booking website.
For a full overview and additional information about the tests, please visit the Department for Education’s dedicated skills tests pages. You can also find out how to book, cancel, or reschedule a test, or make special arrangements.
If you experience any difficulties, call learndirect’s helpline on 0300 303 9613 (available 8am to 4pm Monday to Friday), or email email@example.com.