Training to teach languages
- you could get a tax-free bursary of £26,000 or a £28,000 scholarship to support your training
- further funding for training with a tuition fee and maintenance loan and extra financial support
- when you register with us, you'll receive support from a teaching expert, who will answer all your questions and assist with your application
- great employment rates - 94% of newly qualified teachers are employed in a teaching role six months after qualifying
- once you qualify, you’ll benefit from a competitive salary of at least £23,720, or £29,664 in inner London; as your career progresses, so will your salary – in fact, teachers in leadership roles earn on average £58,100, with many earning significantly more
- you could benefit from the Teachers’ Student Loan Reimbursement scheme
What to expect
The most popular languages taught in schools are French, German and Spanish. The government is committed to increasing the proportion of pupils gaining language qualifications, to do this there is a need for more languages teachers. Additionally, for schools to enter and achieve the English Baccalaureate, pupils will need to study a language GCSE. So, as a languages teacher you'll be in demand.
Your teacher training will help you discover how to open young people’s eyes and ears up to the beauty of the language by exploring its uses in business, everyday life and culture. You’ll get to break down barriers and find ways to help both struggling and high-achieving students get the most from the language, nurturing their speaking and writing skills. Some of your pupils could progress from being complete beginners to using their language skills in their further education, travels or career. Find out more on choosing the best teacher training course.
Enhance your subject knowledge
If you don’t have a related degree, or need to refresh your knowledge, you could complete a fully funded subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course before you start your training.
Teacher training options
22 July 2019 - 18:30
Looking for a career with a real purpose? Join this online event to find out more about teaching as a career and the different routes you can take to qualify as a teacher in England. Our panel of experts will help you decide which route is best for you and provide lots of advice to kick start your new career.
Return to teaching
25 July 2019 - 18:30
Considering a return to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Our teaching advisers will discuss the different routes available to help you return, answering questions on arranging school experience, subject knowledge enhancement, preparing your application and finding vacancies.
Preparing for your teacher training
29 July 2019 - 18:30
If you've been accepted on a teacher training course, this online event is for you. Our panel of experts will provide useful resources and share hints and tips to help prepare you for your first day in school.
Change career to teaching
05 August 2019 - 18:30
Considering changing career to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Our teaching advisers will discuss the different routes available to help you retrain. Our panel will also include a teacher who will share his or her experiences of the obstacles they faced when changing career.