Teacher talking to a pupil in a classroom.

Qualified teacher status

Qualified teacher status (QTS) is what you need to teach in most primary and secondary schools in England.

It is a confirmation that you have the right training and meet the standards required to be a teacher.

QTS is a teaching standard that is respected across the world. Having QTS means you can move around the country and teach in any state school.

How to get QTS

All postgraduate teacher training courses in England lead to QTS. You can see the different types of courses available by searching for postgraduate teacher training(opens in new window).

Entry requirements for QTS courses include having an undergraduate degree and GCSEs at level 4/grade C or above in Maths and English. You’ll also need a level 4/grade C or above in Science if you want to be a primary school teacher.

As well as offering QTS, many courses also offer a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) or postgraduate diploma in education (PGDE). Find out about PGCE and PGDE.

Assessment only route to QTS

It is possible to get QTS through an assessment only programme if you have the right teaching experience. You can usually do this if:

Discover the different ways to train

Advice and support

Find out more about getting into teaching

Get helpful guidance and support on getting into teaching, including how to get the qualifications you need.

Get tailored guidance in your inbox