What you can expect from the Department for Education (DfE)
Continuous professional development (CPD) and competitive teaching salaries
The Department for Education (DfE) can support your CPD through national professional qualifications (NPQs)(opens in new window) for middle and senior leadership, headship and executive leadership. Learn more about national professional qualifications frameworks.(opens in new window)
Salaries and benefits explains teaching salaries for newly qualified and more experienced teachers.
Workload, behaviour and flexible hours
We’re taking action to address some of the common issues that teachers face in the classroom and have collaborated with schools to:
- develop a workload reduction kit(opens in new window)
- invest £10m in behaviour hubs(opens in new window) so schools with exemplary pupil behaviour can help other schools improve
- increase flexible working opportunities(opens in new window) for teachers
Teacher mental health is an important focus for DfE. Read our Teaching blog(opens in new window) to learn more.
To find out more about returning to England to teach, you can:
- sign up for an online Q&A for returners
- email us at firstname.lastname@example.org
- find us on Facebook(opens in new window)
- discover us on Instagram(opens in new window)
- follow us on Twitter(opens in new window)