Train to teach in England

As an international candidate you’ll be welcomed by many teacher training providers in England.

Train in England and you’ll graduate from a world-class institution, with qualifications recognised around the world.

Not looking to train in England? Consider training in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

What you need to start training

To start postgraduate teacher training in England, you need:

A university degree

Your degree can be from outside the UK.

If you do not have a degree yet, you can apply to an undergraduate teacher training course instead of a postgraduate course.

English and maths qualifications

You usually need the equivalent of a GCSE (grade 4) in English and maths.

To teach children aged 3 to 11, you also need the equivalent of a GCSE (grade 4) in a science subject.

Contact UK ENIC to find out if your qualifications meet the standard.

An offer to train

Explore different ways to train and consider whether you want do a training programme which leads to qualified teacher status (QTS). QTS allows you to apply to all teaching jobs in England.

Fees may be higher for international trainees but you may be able to get financial support.

Contact providers before you apply to get their advice about eligibility and the application process.

The right visa or status

You need to get the right visa or status to study in the UK.

You usually need a confirmed offer on a course to apply for a visa.

If you’re an Irish citizen you do not need a visa.

To pass certain checks

Your training provider will check you’re suitable for teaching in terms of your health, whether you’re safe to work with children and your level of maths and English.

Get support

You can get an adviser for one-to-one support.

Your adviser can help you get a ‘statement of comparability’ showing how your overseas qualifications compare to UK qualifications.

Get an adviser

Apply for a place

Find a postgraduate teacher training course

Or search for an undergraduate teacher training course.

If you cannot come to England

You do not necessarily have to be in England to study with an English institution. You can do an international Postgraduate Certificate of Education (PGCEi) outside the UK.

A PGCEi will help you develop your teaching skills and knowledge.

However, it does not lead to ‘qualified teacher status’. This means you will not be able to teach in the types of schools which require qualified teacher status.

Already a teacher? Teach in England

Teach in England and you’ll benefit from working in a world-class education system.

You’ll earn a competitive salary, get supported in your professional development and have varied job opportunities.

Not looking to teach in England? Consider teaching in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

What you need to start teaching

To teach in England you need:

  • teaching skills and experience
  • to pass criminal and professional safeguarding checks (these will be organised by your employer)
  • to get the right visa or status

It is also helpful to have a teaching qualification from your own or another non-UK country, or to get ‘qualified teacher status’.

Get the right visa or status

You’ll need to get the right visa or status to work in the UK.

Many teaching job offers allow you to apply for a ‘skilled worker visa’. You may also be eligible for another type of visa.

Alternatively, you may have a pre-existing right to work in the UK, such as settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme or indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

If you’re an Irish citizen you do not need a visa.

Consider getting qualified teacher status

You need ‘qualified teacher status’ (QTS) to teach in many schools in England.

It’s not a requirement in all types of schools, such as academy schools, free schools, private schools and independent schools. However, having QTS can help your application.

If you’re a qualified teacher from outside the UK you can work as a teacher in England for up to 4 years without QTS.

Apply for QTS if you trained outside the UK.

Search for a job

Search for a teaching job

Get support if you’re qualified to teach maths, physics or modern languages

If you’re an internationally-qualified teacher of maths, physics, or modern foreign languages at secondary school age, you can get one-to-one support with:

  • the application process, such as writing a personal statement and preparing for an interview
  • accessing courses to enhance your subject knowledge
  • finding teaching vacancies

Get an adviser

Find out what salary you can earn

Schools have some flexibility on salary. It varies by region and your level of skill, experience and qualifications.

There are specific salary requirements for a skilled worker visa.

Learn about life as a teacher in England

Read other teachers’ stories and research the English curriculum and teachers’ standards.

Get support

Get in touch with the international teacher recruitment team at We aim to respond within 5 working days.