If you’re concerned about how well you know the subject you want to teach, do not worry - you may be able to do a ‘subject knowledge enhancement’ (SKE) course.
When you apply for teacher training, the school or university will help you establish whether you need to improve your subject knowledge.
They may ask you to do a course if you have:
- a different but related degree to the subject you want to teach
- an A level but not a degree in the subject
- an unrelated degree but relevant professional experience
- a languages degree but need to improve your knowledge of a language you’ll teach
- not used your subject knowledge for a while
Completing a course may be a condition of your offer to train.
Check whether there’s a subject knowledge enhancement course for your subject. They’re typically offered for subjects where there’s a particular demand for teachers.
Courses are available across England and are often online. You can do them before or alongside your teacher training. You may also be able to study part-time.