Arranging your references
Choosing your referees
You'll need to supply contact details for 2 referees with your application form. This is a compulsory part of the application process and you will not be able to submit your application without them.
Choose referees who’ll endorse your:
- teaching passion and potential
- suitability to work with children
- academic abilities
- reliability and professionalism
Suitable referees include:
- your current line manager at work
- previous employers
- a teacher at a school where you work or volunteer
- your university tutor or supervisor
- a supplier or client you’ve worked with (if you’re self-employed)
Referees should not be family members, partners or friends. Training providers will only accept character references if there’s also an academic or professional reference.
If you're applying for a School Direct (salaried) course, one of your references must be from an employer.
If you're struggling to find suitable referees, you can:
- contact one of your chosen training providers for advice
- register with us for support with your teacher training application
Secondary school teaching
17 August 2020 - 19:00
This online event will provide advice on all things secondary teaching. It will offer helpful hints and tips on the different training options available and how to choose the right option for you.
Introduction to United Teaching - online event
19 August 2020 - 18:00
Join SCITT lead Yassamin Sheel to discover more about our school-based programme.
Manchester Nexus SCITT - Our training programmes: online information event
24 August 2020 - 11:00
Find out about our training programmes and the recruitment process.