Get ready for applications opening
Start a career where you’ll be able to go home each day knowing you’ve made a difference. The UCAS Teacher Training application portal is now open and it will only cost £1 to submit your application. Many popular courses fill up early, so follow our five steps to applying so you’re in the best position to applying promptly and get the greatest choice of where to train.
To get a head start before applications open, you should:
- register with us to receive support from our experienced teachers, so you’ll be able to make a successful application when UCAS applications open, when you register you’ll also be able to book local train to teach events
- read our guide on preparing your personal statement, here you should make sure you demonstrate the great qualities you have that would make you an effective teacher, highlighting any experience you’ve had with children, which could include relevant school experience you’ve gained
- consider your two references needed for your application, let them know in advance they’ve been selected as you can’t submit your application without these
- use the Department for Education’s search tool: Find Postgraduate Teacher Training, to find available courses in England – you’ll be able to search by location, training provider and subject.
- practice completing the mandatory skills test in numeracy and literacy - read our guide on preparing for the tests
To support you when you train there’s a number of funding options available.
Financial support for teacher training
08 April 2020 - 13:00
Find out about the range of financial incentives and support available to help fund your teacher training. Our panel will answer all of your questions about bursaries, scholarships and salaried School Direct courses. We'll also discuss the eligibility criteria for bursaries and scholarships, and how to apply for financial support.
Change career to teaching
04 May 2020 - 19:30
Considering changing career to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Our teaching advisers will discuss the different routes available to help you retrain and experiences of the obstacles faced when changing career.
Secondary school teaching
11 May 2020 - 19:30
This online event will provide advice on all things secondary teaching. It will offer helpful hints and tips on the different training options available and how to choose the right option for you.