Extra financial support

There's extra financial support available if you’re a parent, have an adult dependant or a disability. The support listed here doesn’t have to be paid back. To find out more on the other options to fund your training, visit the funding my training page

If you have children, a disability or an adult dependant, you could get:

You can use the student finance calculator to estimate the extra funding that may be available to you, including Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans.

How to apply 

Once you’ve accepted your place on a non-salaried teacher training course, you can apply for Parents’ Learning Allowance, Disabled Students’ Allowance, Childcare Grants and Adult Dependants’ Grant online via Student Finance England (SFE). SFE is also where you’ll need to apply online for Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loans.

Universal Credit is claimed via GOV.UK.

Residents of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will need to apply for this support via your country’s student finance body (Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency Scotland or Student Finance NI).