Bursaries and scholarships
There are three types of funding available for teacher training - depending on your circumstances, you could receive all three:
1. Tax-free bursary or scholarship
2. Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan
3. Additional financial support if you’re a parent, have an adult dependent or have a disability
Further information on tuition fee and maintenance loans and additional financial support can be found on the funding my training page. Alternatively, you could earn a salary while you train. Information on undergraduate bursaries can be found on the funding for undergraduate teacher training page.
|Subject||Bursary 2||Scholarship 3|
- Bursaries and scholarships are available to trainees on a tuition fee-based teacher training course in England that leads to the award of qualified teacher status. Availability is dependent on your highest relevant academic award and the subject in which you are training to teach. To receive a bursary or scholarship you must be entitled to support under the Student Finance England criteria. Residents of Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland will need to be entitled for support as set out by your country’s student finance body (Student Finance Wales, Student Awards Agency Scotland or Student Finance NI). Both elements will be assessed by your teacher training provider. Candidates with overseas degrees may be asked to formally recognise any overseas qualifications through UK NARIC. We can help you with this. Contact us on 0800 389 2500 and we can provide you with guidance on your equivalent qualifications and a free UK NARIC statement of comparability (this usually costs £49.50 plus VAT) once you’ve submitted your application to teacher training, if required by your training provider.
- Bursaries are available to trainees with a first, 2:1, 2:2, Master’s or PhD.
- Trainees in chemistry, computing, maths and physics are able to apply for a teacher training scholarship with the appropriate professional body. Scholarships are awarded in place of a bursary. Each of the professional scholarship bodies sets its own eligibility criteria - find out more on the dedicated scholarship pages. Scholarships are awarded in place of a bursary.
You may also be interested in...
In partnership with highly regarded professional subject associations, scholarships are awarded to the most gifted trainees looking to inspire young minds in maths, chemistry, physics and computing.
Funding by subject
Get an in-depth look at the funding available for your chosen subject, including School Direct (salaried).
Find out more about funding for your preferred subject
How bursaries and scholarships are paid
How you receive payments will depend on the amount of funding you receive. Your training provider will generally inform you of how your payments will be processed, but this short guide should also help as an overview.
Find out more about how payments are processed
Tuition fee and maintenance loans
Further financial support in the form of maintenance and tuition fee loans is available for all subjects, regardless of your qualifications.
Find out more about tuition fee and maintenance loans for postgraduate teacher training
Change career to teaching
30 November 2020 - 18:00
Considering changing career to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Join this online Q&A event where our panel of experts will discuss the different options available to help you retrain and experiences of the obstacles faced when changing career.
Teacher training options
02 December 2020 - 11:30
Looking for a career with a real purpose? Join this online Q&A event to find out more about teaching as a career and the different options you can take to qualify as a teacher in England. Our panel of experts will help you decide which option is best for you and provide lots of advice to kick-start your new career.
Return to teaching
07 December 2020 - 18:30
Considering a return to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Join this online Q&A event where our panel of experts will discuss the different options available to help you return, answering questions on preparing your application and finding vacancies.
Financial support for teacher training
09 December 2020 - 11:30
Join this online Q&A event to find out about the range of financial incentives and support available to help fund your teacher training. Our panel of experts will answer all of your questions about bursaries, scholarships and salaried School Direct courses. We'll also discuss the eligibility criteria for bursaries and scholarships, and how to apply for financial support.