Funding and support if you're a veteran

If you’re transitioning from the armed forces or your service has already ended, you could be eligible for support to train to teach.

As a veteran, you can bring a unique perspective to teaching by using your organisation, leadership and management skills in the classroom.

There are full and part-time teacher training courses available.

Undergraduate bursary for veterans

You may be eligible for a tax-free undergraduate bursary of £40,000 if you are (all of the following):

  • a veteran who has left full-time employment with the British Army, Royal Air Force or Royal Navy no more than 5 years before the start of the course
  • training to teach secondary biology, chemistry, computing, languages, maths or physics
  • doing an undergraduate degree leading to qualified teacher status (QTS) in England

Doing an undergraduate degree leading to QTS means that you would be qualified to teach in England.

You do not need to apply for a bursary to get one. Your teacher training provider will determine if you’re eligible.

You’ll receive £20,000 in each of the last 2 years of your course in equal monthly instalments.

Postgraduate scholarships and bursaries

You may also be eligible for a postgraduate scholarship or bursary if you’re training to teach certain subjects.

Find out more about scholarships and bursaries.

All teacher training candidates are also eligible for tuition fee and maintenance loans.

Get support

The Career Transition Partnership(opens in new window) supports leavers of the armed forces as they transition from the military into civilian life.

The MOD’s Enhanced Learning Credits Scheme (ELC)(opens in new window) promotes lifelong learning amongst members of the armed forces by providing financial support to pay for approved qualifications. You can contact them to find out about eligibility.

If you’re unsure about who to contact for support, Veteran’s Gateway(opens in new window) can help put you in touch with the organisations you may need for advice and support.

Get an adviser

You can get free dedicated support from a teacher training adviser and talk to someone just like you who has left the armed forces and gone into teaching.

As a veteran, you can get an adviser with or without a degree.

Call us on 0800 389 2500 to get an adviser.

Our telephone service is available Monday to Friday between 8:30am and 5:30pm, except on bank holidays(opens in new window).

Military equivalent qualifications

You’ll need different qualifications depending on who you want to teach.

If you’re unsure about whether your qualifications achieved through military service meet the standard required, talk to your course provider, or a teacher training adviser.

You may also be able to do a top up degree to boost your qualifications to meet the standard required. Talk to your teacher training adviser and course provider to find out about your options.

Get free one-to-one support

You can get dedicated guidance and support with your journey into teacher training from one of our veteran teacher training advisers. Chat through phone, text or email, as little or as often as you need.

Find out more about advisers

Talk to us

Live chat

Call us

0800 389 2500

Call or chat to us Monday to Friday, 8:30am until 5:30pm, except on bank holidays(opens in new window).

Get free one-to-one support

Whether it's just an idea or you're ready to apply, you could get personalised support from an adviser with years of teaching experience. Chat to them by phone, email or text as little or as often as you need.

Get an adviser