Funding for training to teach primary maths
As a trainee primary teacher specialising in maths, you could be eligible for a tax-free bursary – or you could earn a salary while you train. If you’re on a non-salaried teacher training course, there are three types of funding available. Depending on your circumstances, you could receive all three.
If you have a first, 2:1, 2:2, Master’s or PhD a £6,000 bursary is available for trainees. To receive the bursary, you'll need an A level in maths at grade B or above (or equivalent).
Once you know if you’ll be receiving a bursary, you can find out how and when you will receive your funding on our how you will be paid page
2. Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan
With or without a bursary, you can also access a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fees and a Maintenance Loan for your living costs. The available loans are:
- a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250 to cover your fees
- a Maintenance Loan of up to £11,672 to support your living costs
3. Additional financial support
If you have children or a disability, extra funding is available. For instance, you could get:
- 85% of childcare costs up to £169.31 a week (1 child) or up to £290.27 a week (2 or more children) Childcare Grant
- up to £1,716 per year Parents’ Learning Allowance
- Child Tax Credits
- Disabled Students’ Allowance
- up to £3,007 per year Adult Dependants' Grant
Find out more information on the extra financial support available.
Earn a salary while you train
Alternatively, you could earn a salary with School Direct (salaried), Postgraduate Teaching Apprenticeships or Teach First.
Train to Teach Exeter
13 November 2019 - 16:30
This event in Exeter will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Train to Teach Manchester
16 November 2019 - 10:00
This event in Manchester will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Train to Teach Norwich
19 November 2019 - 16:30
This event in Norwich will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.