Funding for training to teach history
If you’re interested in training to teach history, you could be eligible for a £9,000 tax-free training bursary. There are three types of funding available for teacher training - depending on your circumstances, you could receive all three.
1. Tax-free bursaries
As a trainee history teacher, you could be eligible for a £9,000 bursary if you have a first, 2:1, 2:2, Master’s or PhD.
Once you know if you’ll be receiving a bursary or scholarship, you can find out how and when you'll receive your tax-free funding.
2. Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan
With or without a bursary, you can also access a Tuition Fee Loan to cover your tuition fees and a Maintenance Loan for your living costs. The available loans are:
- a Tuition Fee Loan of up to £9,250 to cover your fees
- a Maintenance Loan of up to £12,010 to support your living costs
3. Additional financial support
If you have children or a disability, extra funding is available. For instance, you could get:
- 85% of childcare costs up to £174.22 a week (1 child) or up to £298.69 a week (2 or more children) Childcare Grant
- up to £1,766 per year Parents’ Learning Allowance
- Child Tax Credits
- Disabled Students’ Allowance
- up to £3,094 per year Adult Dependants' Grant
Find out more information on the extra financial support available.
Earn a salary while you train
Alternatively, you could earn a salary while you train.
Train to Teach London online event
25 April 2020 - 11:00
This online event specifically for anybody looking to train to teach in London will give you the opportunity to ask our experts questions about teacher training.
Train to Teach York online event
28 April 2020 - 18:00
This online event specifically for anybody looking to train to teach in York will give you the opportunity to ask our experts questions about teacher training.
Train to Teach Peterborough online event
29 April 2020 - 18:30
This online event specifically for anybody looking to train to teach in Peterborough will give you the opportunity to ask our experts questions about teacher training.