Get personalised help and support to start your career in teaching

5 reasons to register

Funding for training to teach chemistry

If you train to teach chemistry, you could be eligible for a tax-free training bursary or prestigious scholarship of up to £25,000 – or even earn a salary while you train. 


As a trainee chemistry teacher, the bursaries you could be eligible for are as follows:

  • a £25,000 tax-free bursary with a first or PhD
  • a £20,000 tax-free bursary with a 2:1, 2:2 or Master’s degree


Tax-free, £25,000 scholarships with the Royal Society of Chemistry (RSC) are available to chemistry trainees with a 2:1 or higher. That’s at least £5,000 more than a bursary if you have a 2:1 or lower.

If your application for a scholarship is unsuccessful, you will still be eligible for a bursary.

Learn more about chemistry scholarships.

Once you know if you'll be receiving a bursary or scholarship, you can find out how and when you will receive your tax-free funding.

Additional financial support

With or without a bursary or scholarship, you can still access tuition fee and maintenance loans to help fund your training and cover tuition fees.

Earn a salary while you train

Alternatively, you could earn a salary with School Direct (salaried) or Teach First.

School Direct (salaried)

If you have three or more years of work experience in any field, you could earn a salary of over £16,300 nationally and £20,500 in inner London while you train on a School Direct (salaried) programme, rising to between £22,000 and £27,000 straight after you qualify. 

If you are accepted onto the programme you will be paid a salary by the school you are employed by, and your training to achieve QTS is covered by the school – you should check if this includes a PGCE. Salary arrangements should be discussed with your employing school.

Teach First

If you’re a graduate or career changer and have a 2:1 or above, you could train with Teach First and earn a salary as an unqualified teacher – find out more.

Upcoming events

View all events

St Mary's University PGCE Open Evening

25 August 2016 18:30

Discovering the best route for you into teacher training.


Teach First – career changer drop-in session

30 August 2016 12:00

Meet with a Teach First recruiter to learn more about the Leadership Development Programme.


Keele and North Staffordshire Primary SCITT open evening

01 September 2016 16:30

Meet with our SCITT team and find out more about our PGCE with QTS and assessment only programmes.

Newcastle Under Lyme

Teach First: Apply First

01 September 2016 18:30

Evening presentation and workshops about how to make the best application to Teach First.