Frequently asked questions


What’s the eligibility criteria for postgraduate teacher training?

For postgraduate teacher training, you’ll need a degree and a GCSE grade C or 4 in English and maths for secondary school training. If you’re teaching primary, this will also need to include a grade C or 4 in a science. 

What if I don't have the required GCSEs?

If you don’t have the necessary GCSEs in maths, English or science, you may be able to take a pre-entry test set by training providers. Some providers may also accept skills developed through other, related work experience. If in doubt, you should contact your chosen provider to find out what their requirements are.

What should I do if my qualifications are from overseas?

If all or part of your qualifications are from outside the UK, you should contact the schools or universities you would like to train with, as they make the final decision if your qualifications meet the minimum requirements -  you may be asked to formally recognise any overseas qualifications through UK NARIC. You can compare overseas qualifications to the British degree standard on GOV.UK to find out what bursary you could receive. 

How would I financially support my training?

There’s a range of support available for postgraduate teacher training. This includes:

How are bursaries or scholarships paid? What can it be used for?

You’ll be paid in 10 equal monthly instalments during your training year – you can choose to spend the bursary as you wish.

Will I receive funding for my postgraduate teacher training if I have a degree class below a 2:2?

In order to receive a training bursary or scholarship, you’ll need to hold a second-class honours degree or equivalent and train in an eligible subject, Trainees holding third class or pass/ordinary degrees won’t be eligible unless they hold a higher relevant academic qualification, such as a masters or a PhD.

If you don’t have a degree of at least second-class honours, you can still apply for postgraduate teacher training and access a tuition fee and maintenance loans from the Student Loans Company. 

What sort of starting salary can I expect?

Teachers begin on a starting salary of at least £23,720, or £29,664 in inner London. As your career progresses, so will your salary - teachers in leadership roles earn on average £58,100, with many earning significantly more. 

What is a PGCE?

The postgraduate certificate in education, or PGCE is a one- or two-year academic qualification you can achieve alongside qualified teacher status during your teacher training. You don’t need a PGCE to teach in England, but you do need qualified teacher status (QTS) to teach as a qualified teacher, which all postgraduate teacher training courses offer. 

How long does it take to complete teacher training?

The majority of teacher training courses last a year. There are opportunities to complete a part-time course.

Do I need classroom experience before I apply?

School experience isn’t a mandatory requirement. However, school experience will provide you with the opportunity to see inside a modern classroom and observe lessons. Classroom experience can help you find out how teaching has changed since you were at school and this may help you decide whether teaching is for you - - it could also strengthen your application. We can help you gain school experience via our Get School Experience service

What if my degree doesn't relate to the subject I want to teach?

If you don't have a degree in the subject you want to train in, you could complete a fully-funded subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course – these are available if you have plenty of work experience in the subject you want to teach or you have a relevant A level. You should contact your chosen teacher training provider for more information around available SKE courses and your eligibility. 

Where can I find more information about teacher training in Wales, Scotland and Northern Ireland?

You’ll not be able to access the bursaries or scholarships mentioned on this site, these are only available for training in England. You can find out more about teaching in other areas of the UK by visiting their websites: Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland

What are the benefits of registering with Get Into Teaching?

We offer a comprehensive programme of support to help you, providing guidance throughout the application process.

By signing up with us, you’ll receive our helpful email updates with important news on teacher training, support from our teaching experts and access to our exclusive teaching events.

You could be allocated your own dedicated adviser for support at each stage of the application process. Register to receive this free support. 

How do I apply to train as a teacher?

You can apply for the majority of teacher training courses for 2019 via UCAS Teacher Training

What should I include in my personal statement on the teacher training application form?

Training providers will want to know why you’ll enjoy teaching – and, more specifically, why you’ll enjoy teaching your subject. Emphasise the relevance of your previous studies, career and experiences to the subject and/or age group you have chosen for teacher training. Give examples to illustrate each point, including examples from your school experience and from any other experience you may have of working with children. Find out more on writing an effective personal statement

When do I need to take the professional skills tests for trainee teachers?

You need to have passed the skills tests before the start of the course. You can register for the skills tests to book an appointment in advance, but you’re expected to have submitted your application before the test date. You can find more information, including how to register for the skills tests, on the professional skills tests page

What will my interview be like?

Interviews could take place over a full day and the training provider will let you know the programme for the day. You’ll be asked about your experience of working with young people, your commitment to teaching and your relevant knowledge and skills. The content of the day will likely include an individual interview and possibly group tasks such as group discussions, presentations and teaching mini-lessons. The aim of the day is for you and the interviewers to find out whether teaching is right for you.

I’m a qualified overseas teacher can I teach in England?

To be a qualified teacher in England, you’ll need to gain qualified teacher status (QTS). You may be able to gain QTS in England without any further training or assessment if you’re qualified to teach in the European Economic Area (EEA), Australia, Canada, New Zealand or the USA. Find out more

I’m from the EU, will I be able to access financial support?

EU nationals starting teacher training courses in the academic years 2019/20 and 2020/21 will still be eligible for a tax-free bursary or scholarship and a tuition fee loan. Under current rules, EU nationals can access this support if they have resided in the European Economic Area or Switzerland throughout the three-year period before the start of the course. Please note, bursaries and scholarships for 2020/21 will be announced in autumn 2019. Find out more.