Training to teach music
By teaching music, you’ll be responsible for unlocking your pupils’ creativity and developing their passion for music.
- you could get a tax-free bursary of £9,000
- a Tuition Fee Loan and Maintenance Loan to cover tuition fees and help with living costs
- extra financial support if you're a parent or have a disability
- when you register with us, you'll receive support from a teaching expert, who will answer all your questions and assist with your application
- great employment rates - 94% of newly qualified teachers are employed in a teaching role six months after qualifying
- once you qualify, you’ll benefit from a competitive salary of at least £23,720, or £29,664 in inner London; as your career progresses, so will your salary – in fact, teachers in leadership roles earn on average £58,100, with many earning significantly more
What you need to know
As a music teacher, you’ll play an important role in young people’s learning – whether they go on to become talented musicians, or just gain a deeper understanding of different forms and styles of music. By teaching the subject, you’ll nurture pupils’ self-confidence, creativity, and their ability to collaborate and express themselves.
Your training will provide you with the skills needed to support pupils to develop their musical knowledge and understanding, while learning to make music accessible and enjoyable. Find out more on choosing the best teacher training course.
Teacher training options
22 July 2019 - 18:30
Looking for a career with a real purpose? Join this online event to find out more about teaching as a career and the different routes you can take to qualify as a teacher in England. Our panel of experts will help you decide which route is best for you and provide lots of advice to kick start your new career.
Return to teaching
25 July 2019 - 18:30
Considering a return to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Our teaching advisers will discuss the different routes available to help you return, answering questions on arranging school experience, subject knowledge enhancement, preparing your application and finding vacancies.
Preparing for your teacher training
29 July 2019 - 18:30
If you've been accepted on a teacher training course, this online event is for you. Our panel of experts will provide useful resources and share hints and tips to help prepare you for your first day in school.
Change career to teaching
05 August 2019 - 18:30
Considering changing career to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Our teaching advisers will discuss the different routes available to help you retrain. Our panel will also include a teacher who will share his or her experiences of the obstacles they faced when changing career.