Training to teach languages
- you could get a tax-free bursary of £26,000 or a £28,000 scholarship to support your training
- further funding for training with a tuition fee and maintenance loan and extra financial support
- when you register with us, you'll receive support from a teaching expert, who will answer all your questions and assist with your application
- great employment rates - 94% of newly qualified teachers are employed in a teaching role six months after qualifying
- once you qualify, you’ll benefit from a competitive salary of at least £23,720, or £29,664 in inner London; as your career progresses, so will your salary – in fact, teachers in leadership roles earn on average £58,100, with many earning significantly more
- you could benefit from the Teachers’ Student Loan Reimbursement scheme
What to expect
The most popular languages taught in schools are French, German and Spanish. The government is committed to increasing the proportion of pupils gaining language qualifications, to do this there is a need for more languages teachers. Additionally, for schools to enter and achieve the English Baccalaureate, pupils will need to study a language GCSE. So, as a languages teacher you'll be in demand.
Your teacher training will help you discover how to open young people’s eyes and ears up to the beauty of the language by exploring its uses in business, everyday life and culture. You’ll get to break down barriers and find ways to help both struggling and high-achieving students get the most from the language, nurturing their speaking and writing skills. Some of your pupils could progress from being complete beginners to using their language skills in their further education, travels or career. Find out more on choosing the best teacher training course.
Enhance your subject knowledge
If you don’t have a related degree, or need to refresh your knowledge, you could complete a fully funded subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course before you start your training.
Train to Teach London
27 April 2019 - 11:00
This event in London will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Train to Teach Birmingham
15 June 2019 - 10:00
This event in Birmingham will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Train to Teach Nottingham
19 June 2019 - 16:30
This event in Nottingham will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.