You can talk to a Get Into Teaching Line adviser online between 8am and 8pm.Start live chat
Training to teach design and technology (D&T)
- you could get a tax-free bursary of £12,000
- further funding for training with a Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loan and extra financial support
- when you register with us, you'll receive support from a teaching expert, who'll answer all of your questions and assist you with your application
- great employment rates - 94% of newly qualified teachers are employed in a teaching role six months after qualifying
- once you qualify, you’ll benefit from a competitive salary of at least £23,720, or £29,664 in inner London; as your career progresses, so will your salary – in fact, teachers in leadership roles earn on average £58,100, with many earning significantly more
What to expect
As a D&T teacher, you’ll nurture pupils’ creativity and teach them the skills to not only come up with brilliant ideas, but to turn them into a reality. By doing so, you’ll be teaching a subject that complements their wider learning and brings it to life in practical terms – from maths and science to computing and art.
Your training will focus on how you can encourage pupils to be resourceful, innovative and enterprising as they solve real and relevant problems. Find out more about choosing the best teacher training courses.
Enhance your subject knowledge
If you don’t have a related degree, or need to refresh your knowledge, you could complete a fully funded subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course before you start your training.
Train to Teach Liverpool
25 June 2019 - 16:30
This event in Liverpool will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Train to Teach Leeds
29 June 2019 - 10:00
This event in Leeds will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Change career to teaching
24 June 2019 - 18:30
Considering changing career to teaching? Not sure about the next step? Our teaching advisers will discuss the different routes available to help you retrain. Our panel will also include a teacher who will share his or her experiences of the obstacles they faced when changing career.