Training to teach computing
- you could get a tax-free bursary of £26,000 or a £28,000 scholarship to support your training
- further funding for training with a tuition fee and maintenance loan and extra financial support
- when you register with us, you'll receive support from a teaching expert, who will answer all your questions and assist with your application
- great employment rates - 95% of newly qualified teachers are employed in a teaching role six months after qualifying
- once you qualify, you’ll benefit from a competitive salary of at least £22,917, or £28,660 in inner London; as your career progresses, so will your salary – in fact, teachers in leadership roles earn on average £57,500, with many earning significantly more
- you could benefit from the Teachers’ Student Loan Reimbursement scheme
What to expect
Now is a great time to become a computing teacher. With more children in schools learning about programming and information technology, the subject is playing a more important role than ever before.
As a computing teacher, you’ll:
- be in demand; with record numbers of students opting to take computing at GCSE level
- help young people develop skills to succeed and excel in thriving creative industries
- contribute to a subject of growing importance to industry and society
Your training will enable you to introduce young minds to the fundamentals of computing, all the way up to learning brand new programming languages. As a result, you’ll be able to plan exciting lessons that enable you to develop young people’s understanding of programming, publishing and other skill sets. Find out more on choosing the best teacher training route.
Enhance your subject knowledge
If you don’t have a computing degree, or need to refresh your knowledge, you could complete a fully funded subject knowledge enhancement (SKE) course before you start your training – find out more.
17 April 2018 16:30
This event in Doncaster will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
02 May 2018 16:30
This event in Derby will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
24 May 2018 16:00
This event in London will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
24 March 2018 10:00
Whether you’re just getting started on your application, or are close to submitting it, you will find lots of help and support at our application workshops.