You can talk to a Get Into Teaching Line adviser online between 8am and 8pm.Start live chat
Training to teach history
- you could get a tax-free bursary of £12,000
- further funding for training with a Tuition Fee and Maintenance Loan and extra financial support
- when you register with us, you'll receive support from a teaching expert, who'll answer all of your questions and assist you with your application
- great employment rates - 94% of newly qualified teachers are employed in a teaching role six months after qualifying
- once you qualify, you’ll benefit from a competitive salary of at least £23,720, or £29,664 in inner London; as your career progresses, so will your salary – in fact, teachers in leadership roles earn on average £58,100, with many earning significantly more
What to expect
A career in teaching history offers you the chance to pass on your passion and knowledge of the subject to pupils every day.
As a trainee history teacher, you’ll learn the skills needed to enhance your pupils’ understanding of British history and the world as it is today – from the events that shaped civilisations, to the historical figures that made them happen. You’ll discover how to pique students’ curiosity and help them evaluate arguments, analyse trends and appreciate the complexity of societies throughout time. Find out more about choosing the best teacher training course.
Find out how Head of RE Sandra used her skills to encourage one of her students to excel, giving her the confidence boost she needed to continue her studies.More about this case study
Teaching can impact students’ lives as well as colleagues. Find out how Karen Falcon came to positively influence the strategic direction of her school.More about this case study
Teaching is not only in the head, it’s also in the heart.Helen Morgan, history teacher
Train to Teach Leeds
29 June 2019 - 10:00
This event in Leeds will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
Gaining school experience
01 July 2019 - 18:30
This online session will offer helpful hints and tips on how to gain school experience and how to make the best use of this when limited time may be available.
Secondary school teaching
03 July 2019 - 12:00
This online event will provide advice on all things secondary teaching. It will offer helpful hints and tips on the different secondary school training options available and how to choose the right option for you.