Student loans

If you’re interested in enrolling on an undergraduate teacher training course but you’re not eligible for a bursary, don’t be put off. Loans are available to help you fund your training, as well as additional financial support.

If you are on a full-time undergraduate teacher training course, you’ll have to pay tuition fees (PDF, 76KB). These are usually up to £9,250 per year – or higher if you’re an international student – but may vary depending on the provider. To find out how much your tuition fees will be, you should contact the higher education institute (HEI) that runs your chosen course.

Home and EEA students may be eligible for a student loan to cover the cost of tuition fees. You can apply for a student loan from your local authority (LA).

Find out more about repaying your student loan or student finance in general on GOV.UK.

Maintenance loans

If you are a home student in England, you may also be eligible for a maintenance loan to help towards accommodation and other living costs. Maintenance loans are available through Student Finance England. For more information, visit the GOV.UK website.

Additional support

Some providers may offer additional funding – for example, paying your travel expenses. If you have concerns or questions, it’s always worth talking to your provider. At the very least, they will be able to advise you on what’s available for someone in your financial situation.

For more information on getting extra help with money, visit GOV.UK.

You can also contact your local authority – you can find details on the Directgov website.