This traditional route into teaching offers training courses for both graduates and undergraduates. If you want you to learn the theory of teaching at a university before applying this towards your school placements – this option is for you.
On a postgraduate university-led route, you’ll.....
- receive a tax-free £26,000 bursary or £28,000 scholarship to train as a teacher, depending on your training subject and degree class
- be able to apply for to a tuition fee and maintenance loan and extra funding to cover your training, this is with or without a bursary or scholarship
- be based at a university learning the method and practice of teaching’ before you apply this to your school placements; you'll spend plenty of time in two contrasting schools – a minimum of 24 weeks
- be awarded qualified teacher status (QTS), which is needed to teach as a qualified teacher in England
- have the opportunity to receive a postgraduate qualification, usually a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE)
To apply for this route.....
- you should first use UCAS search to find available courses; courses are available across England, so there are plenty of options when it comes to location
- applications are made via UCAS Teacher Training; apply promptly for teacher training 2018, before 31 July, and the UCAS application fee will be reduced from £24 to £1 - register with UCAS Teacher Training to start your application today
If you don't have a degree, you can gain a degree and qualified teacher status (QTS) together on a three- or four-year undergraduate course - find out more.
If you need further information, call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500 or use our online chat service between 8am and 8pm.
19 June 2018 15:00
This event in Birmingham will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
30 June 2018 10:00
This event in Newcastle will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
23 June 2018 10:00
Whether you’re just getting started on your application, or are close to submitting it, you will find lots of help and support at our application workshops.
30 May 2018 18:30
This online session will offer helpful hints and tips on how to gain school experience and how to make the best use of this when limited time may be available.