This traditional route into teaching offers training courses for both graduates and undergraduates. If you want you to learn the theory of teaching at a university before applying this towards your school placements – this option is for you.
On a postgraduate university-led route, you’ll.....
- receive a tax-free £26,000 bursary or £28,000 scholarship to train as a teacher, depending on your training subject and degree class
- be able to apply for a tuition fee and maintenance loan and extra funding to cover your training, this is with or without a bursary or scholarship
- be based at a university learning the method and practice of teaching’ before you apply this to your school placements; you'll spend plenty of time in two contrasting schools – a minimum of 24 weeks
- be awarded qualified teacher status (QTS), which is needed to teach as a qualified teacher in England
- have the opportunity to receive a postgraduate qualification, usually a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE)
To apply for this route.....
- you should first use UCAS search to find available courses; courses are available across England, so there are plenty of options when it comes to location
- applications are made via UCAS Teacher Training; apply promptly for teacher training 2018, before 31 July, and the UCAS application fee will be reduced from £24 to £1 - register with UCAS Teacher Training to start your application today
If you don't have a degree, you can gain a degree and qualified teacher status (QTS) together on a three- or four-year undergraduate course - find out more.
If you need further information, call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500 or use our online chat service between 8am and 8pm.
30 June 2018 10:00
This event in Newcastle will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
23 June 2018 10:00
Whether you’re just getting started on your application, or are close to submitting it, you will find lots of help and support at our application workshops.
25 June 2018 18:30
If you've been offered a teacher training place, this online session will answer your questions on how best to prepare for your teacher training.
27 June 2018 12:00
This online event will provide advice on gaining school experience for those interested in primary teaching. It will offer helpful hints and tips on gaining and making the most of your primary school experience and it's relevance to your UCAS application.