Troops to Teachers
The September 2016 cohort of Troops to Teachers was the last to be delivered by University of Brighton. Future options for Service leavers to train as teachers are currently being considered. University of Brighton will register your interest in future Troops to Teachers opportunities - please email or call 01273 643 598. Opportunities for Service leavers to train as teachers will be published as soon as they are available.
As an Armed Services leaver, you can bring invaluable skills and experiences to the classroom by training to teach – where you could have the opportunity to apply for a fast-track Troops to Teachers course leading to an honours degree with qualified teacher status (QTS).
Two-year Troops to Teachers courses are for non-graduates and lead to QTS and a degree qualification. This involves:
- earning a salary as an unqualified teacher while you train (this could be 80% of the unqualified teacher pay ranges)
- training to teach in a school for four days a week, with university training one a day a week to further your academic qualifications to degree level
You’ll need to be able to demonstrate, through your qualifications in the Armed Forces, that you have sufficient evidence of academic achievement and specialist subject knowledge to support your development.
The minimum eligibility requirements for the course are:
- English language and maths GCSE (or equivalent) grade C, plus science if you want to teach primary
- a minimum of 120 subject-related Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme (CATS) points if your current qualifications relate specifically to your chosen subject for teacher training
- a minimum of 240 credits if your qualifications are not specific to your chosen specialist subject for teacher training, but they are related
Your qualifications can be either academic (for example from the Open University), or professional qualifications like Command, Leadership and Management or Defence Train the Trainer courses. Experiences can be formal roles either as a trainer/instructor, or applying the subject you wish to teach.
The Troops to Teachers programme is full for September 2016
Classification as an eligible Service leaver
To be eligible for a Troops to Teachers course as a non-graduate, you will usually have served for at least four years, and are within five years of your discharge date at the start of the programme.
To register your interest in future Troops to Teachers opportunities, please contact email@example.com or call 01273 643 598.
Non-graduate Service leavers can earn a salary while training
01 November 2016 16:30
This event in Southampton will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
03 November 2016 16:30
This event in Liverpool will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
08 November 2016 16:30
This event in Oxford will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
10 November 2016 16:30
This event in Sheffield will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.