Troops to Teachers
As an Armed Services leaver, you can bring invaluable skills and experiences to the classroom by training to teach – where you could have the opportunity to apply for a fast-track Troops to Teachers course leading to an honours degree with qualified teacher status (QTS).
Two-year Troops to Teachers courses are for non-graduates and lead to QTS and a degree qualification. This involves:
- earning a salary as an unqualified teacher while you train (this could be 80% of the unqualified teacher pay ranges)
- training to teach in a school for four days a week, with university training one a day a week to further your academic qualifications to degree level
You’ll need to be able to demonstrate, through your qualifications in the Armed Forces, that you have sufficient evidence of academic achievement and specialist subject knowledge to support your development.
The minimum eligibility requirements for the course are:
- English language and maths GCSE (or equivalent) grade C, plus science if you want to teach primary
- a minimum of 120 subject-related Credit Accumulation and Transfer Scheme (CATS) points if your current qualifications relate specifically to your chosen subject for teacher training
- a minimum of 240 credits if your qualifications are not specific to your chosen specialist subject for teacher training, but they are related
Your qualifications can be either academic (for example from the Open University), or professional qualifications like Command, Leadership and Management or Defence Train the Trainer courses. Experiences can be formal roles either as a trainer/instructor, or applying the subject you wish to teach.
The Troops to Teachers programme is full for September 2016
Finding non-graduate courses
Troops to Teachers is run by the University of Brighton as the lead in a consortium of higher education institutions comprising:
- Bath Spa University
- Canterbury Christ Church University
- University of Huddersfield
- University of Reading
- University of Southampton
- University of Staffordshire
- Delivery schools
For further information please contact email@example.com or call 01273 643 598
Classification as an eligible Service leaver
To be eligible for a Troops to Teachers course as a non-graduate, you will usually have served for at least four years, and are within five years of your discharge date at the start of the programme.
To register your interest in future Troops to Teachers opportunities, please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call 01273 643 598.
Non-graduate Service leavers can earn a salary while training
15 October 2016 10:00
This event in Leeds will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
18 October 2016 16:30
This event in Norwich will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
01 November 2016 16:30
This event in Southampton will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
03 November 2016 16:30
This event in Liverpool will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.