University-led postgraduate training

One option for achieving qualified teacher status (QTS) is to complete a postgraduate certificate in education (PGCE) at a university or college. They work with school partnerships to offer placements with at least two schools as part of your training.

University-led courses run both full-time and part-time, over one or two years. Your training will include spending time at the university or college you successfully apply to – working with other trainees and being taught by university staff.

You’ll also spend plenty of time in your placement schools – a minimum of 24 weeks. This will help you develop your practical teaching skills and ability to manage and plan classes effectively. These school-based elements of the course also play an important role in assessing your performance in the classroom and preparing you for your first job as a newly qualified teacher (NQT).

University-led courses account for just over half of the teacher training places in England, and are available across the country – so there are plenty of options when it comes to location.

You can search for courses on the UCAS Teacher Training website.

To find out more, you can call us on Freephone 0800 389 2500.

More than 90% of newly qualified teachers rate their training highly

Earn up to


as a leading practitioner

*Conditions apply

Watch this video for helpful tips on getting into teaching, from real trainees and experienced teachers. Transcript (PDF, 48KB)

I’d been out of education for nearly 20 years, and even though it was difficult, I thoroughly enjoyed my learning journey.

Allison Kitchin, primary teacher

We think you may be interested in

Upcoming events

View all events

  • University of Reading information evening

    07 September 2015 AT 16:00

    The University of Reading hosts regular information meetings to explain School Direct and other routes into initial teacher training.

    Reading Open
  • Postgraduate and PGCE Open Evening

    09 September 2015 AT 17:30

    Find out about our teacher training courses in early years, primary and secondary levels, including PGCEs and School Direct. Hear from us, ask us questions, find out about fees, funding and the application process.

    London Open
  • Get Into Teaching – General information session

    10 September 2015 AT 11:00

    An information event with advice for anyone interested in training to become a teacher.

    Hounslow Open
  • Get Into Teaching day

    14 September 2015 AT 09:00

    A placement day at the Northampton School for Boys for aspiring teachers.

    Northampton Open