Privacy Notice: Return to Teaching Information Service
Who we are
This work is being carried out by the Department for Education (DfE). For the purpose of data protection legislation, the DfE is the data controller for the personal data processed as part of The Return to Teaching Information Service.
How we will use your information
We receive and process the personal data you provided when completing the return to teaching registration form, because you have requested that we provide you with tailored advice and information about returning to teach languages, maths or physics. This will help you to make an informed decision about returning to teach.
Specifically we will use your data in the following ways:
- The information you provide in the Return to Teaching registration form is shared with our Return to Teaching telephone helpline and web chat service to ensure that they have an accurate picture of your preferences and circumstances in order to provide a tailored service and information to you. Any subsequent information you provide to the helpline will also be recorded in order to continue to provide you with a tailored service.
- We use your contact details to communicate with you by telephone and to send you email, SMS and postal messages, providing you with information about a career in teaching. We may also contact you to gauge your interest in taking part in market research. In each message, you will be given the opportunity to unsubscribe from further communications.
- The information we collect from you (such as your name, contact details and subject preferences) is used for identification, administration, analysis and targeting purposes. This allows us to ensure that public funds are being spent effectively.
- The information we collect from you may be used to deliver tailored messages on third party platforms, including social media - like Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, Snapchat and Google search. Your information will also be used to identify and advertise to people that are similar to you, who may also be interested in our service.
If you do not supply us with your personal information then we cannot provide a tailored advice and information service. However, without registering, you can still access general information via the Return to Teaching helpline and website.
Your personal data, supplied for the purposes of this service, will be used as long as it is deemed necessary. We will delete this information if you request us to do so.
The nature of your personal data we will be using
The categories of your data, supplied by you through the registration forms and other interactions with us, that we will be using for this service are personal data such as:
- Email address
- Contact telephone number
- Date of birth
- IP Address
We will also be collecting non-personal information such as:
- Your teaching preferences
- The last year you were a teacher
- The subject you previously taught
Why our use of your personal data is lawful
In order for our use of your personal data to be lawful, we need to meet one (or more) conditions in the data protection legislation. The condition that we are relying on is that under Article 6 (1)(e) of the General Data Protection Regulations (GDPR) DfE is processing your personal data in the performance of a task carried out in the public interest.
Who we will make your personal data available to
We share your information with trusted partners working to deliver the service under a legal contract on our behalf in order for us to continue to provide you with relevant information about returning to teach or 'the service'. These partners are required to strictly comply with our privacy policies that prohibit them using your personal data for any other purpose.
How long we will keep your personal data
We will only keep your personal data for as long as we need it for the purpose(s) of this service, after which point it will be securely destroyed. Please note that under the Data Protection Act, and in compliance with the relevant conditions, we can lawfully keep personal data processed purely for research purposes indefinitely.
Your data protection rights
You have the right:
- to ask us for access to information about you that we hold
- to have your personal data rectified if it is inaccurate or incomplete
- to request the deletion or removal of personal data where there is no compelling reason for its continued processing
- to restrict our processing of your personal data (i.e. permitting its storage but no further processing)
- to object to direct marketing (including profiling) and processing for the purposes of scientific/historical research and statistics - but this will mean you no longer can receive the service
- not to be subject to decisions based purely on automated processing where it produces a legal or similarly significant effect on you
If you have any questions about how your personal information will be used, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and enter (reference) as a reference. For the Data Protection Officer (DPO) please contact us via GOV.UK and mark it for the attention of the ‘DPO’.
Alternatively, you have the right to raise any concerns with the Information Commissioner's Office (ICO) via their website
We may need to update this privacy notice periodically, so we recommend that you revisit this information from time to time. This version was last updated on 17 September 2019.