Teach in England and you’ll benefit from working in a world-class education system.

You’ll earn a competitive salary, get supported in your professional development and have varied job opportunities.

Not looking to teach in England? Consider teaching in Wales, Scotland or Northern Ireland.

What you need to start teaching

To teach in England you need:

  • teaching skills and experience
  • to pass criminal and professional safeguarding checks (these will be organised by your employer)
  • to get the right visa or status

It is also helpful to have a teaching qualification from your own or another non-UK country, or to get ‘qualified teacher status’.

Get the right visa or status

You’ll need to get the right visa or status to work in the UK.

Many teaching job offers allow you to apply for a ‘skilled worker visa’. You may also be eligible for another type of visa.

Alternatively, you may have a pre-existing right to work in the UK, such as settled or pre-settled status under the EU Settlement Scheme or indefinite leave to remain in the UK.

If you’re an Irish citizen you do not need a visa.

Consider getting qualified teacher status

You need ‘qualified teacher status’ (QTS) to teach in many schools in England.

It’s not a requirement in all types of schools, such as academy schools, free schools, private schools and independent schools. However, having QTS can help your application.

If you’re a qualified teacher from outside the UK you can work as a teacher in England for up to 4 years without QTS.

Apply for QTS if you trained outside the UK.

Search for a job

Search for a teaching job

Talk to an adviser if you’re qualified to teach maths, physics or modern languages

You can get one-to-one support if you have qualified teacher status (QTS) and you’re qualified to teach secondary maths, physics or modern languages. Get help with:

Get an adviser

Find out what salary you can earn

Schools have some flexibility on salary. It varies by region and your level of skill, experience and qualifications.

There are specific salary requirements for a skilled worker visa.

Learn about life as a teacher in England

Read other teachers’ stories and research the English curriculum and teachers’ standards.

Get support

Get in touch with the international teacher recruitment team at international.teacherrecruitment@education.gov.uk. We aim to respond within 5 working days.