Apply to teach
Applications to start teacher training in September 2018 are open, so check our step-by-step guide to applying. If you’re already prepared and ready to start your application, go directly to UCAS Teacher Training. Aim to apply early – many popular courses fill quickly. For tailored advice and information about a career in teaching, register with us.
Step one: prepare to apply
Before you apply through UCAS Teacher Training, you should:
- search for local training courses on UCAS Teacher Training and think about whether you’re interested in applying for school-led or university-led training
- take note of the key application dates, which can be found on UCAS Teacher Training; the final deadline to apply for training in the 2018/19 academic year is 14 September 2018
- arrange school experience – classroom experience can help you to decide whether teaching is right for you - it could also strengthen your application; get a taste of school life before you apply with our School Experience Programme
- look into the tax-free bursaries and scholarships that are available - you could get £26,000 to train as a teacher
- register with us for help and support throughout the application process and check out local teaching events, where you’ll receive one-to-one advice on every aspect of applying to teach
Step two: apply to teach
When you apply for teacher training through UCAS Teacher Training, you’ll need to:
- write a personal statement for your application – our written application tips can help with this
- arrange your two references needed for your application – find out more about applying through UCAS
- pass the mandatory professional skills tests in numeracy and literacy – there are practice materials available online to help you get ready for these
23 January 2018 16:30
This event in Crawley will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
24 January 2018 12:00
This event in Nottingham will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
24 January 2018 16:30
This event in Exeter will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.
25 January 2018 16:30
This event in Sheffield will give you the chance to ask experts about your teacher training options and what it’s like to teach.